Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The beginning of the end

Heyo, long time no see. I forget when my last post was but I'm guessing it's been at least a couple of months.  A lot has changed in that time. I'm working two side jobs proofreading documents/contracts/research papers for translation companies. Taking advantage of my foreigner card here :) I've pretty much quit drinking all together. I guess I've finally passed the boozing part of my young adult life. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw down with the homies if there's reason to do so, but pretty tame otherwise. Now smoking is another story. A cruel mistress nicotine is I tell you. Never thought I'd be hooked on cigarettes but my drive to quit is there. I didn't really smoke that much to begin with and since I've cut out drinking, I'm down to 1 cigarette a day with  2 or 3 days in between where I don't smoke. I can see the light at the end of the smoke free tunnel folks, yeaaaaaaaus.

It's already spring 2013 and I feel like I've been served a temporal bitch slap. Time flies hella fast. I've only got a little under 10 months left of my military service before I'm free. Since deciding not to pursue a graduate degree afterwards, I'm now focusing on finding a chemical engineering job in the states. I know this is going to be pretty hard to do since I'll be applying as an international requiring a sponsor for a work visa, but you gots to try, right? Even if I get shot down by every single company in the US, I won't quit until I've exhausted every possible avenue for employment at "home." Funny isn't it, how I have to bust my ass to get back to the place I call home. If worse comes to worst, I'll look for jobs in Korea in the engineering sector of international companies. This wouldn't be that bad if they were willing to relocate me to the states, but this is my last resort. Or I could just go for a graduate degree if I really don't want to live in Korea.

Since I've been on the healthy living track, I've been working out again after a long hiatus and I feel great. I don't like going to the gyms here because the douchey looking trainers keep bugging me about my form or saying that I'm lifting too heavy. I get it, most people want the crazy ripped, cut body. I'll be content with a leaner version of myself but I want to retain most of my strength. I wasn't enjoying the atmosphere of the gym I was going to so I quit after a couple months and have since been doing workouts in my room with dumbbells and kettle bells. If only there was a cross fit gym in Seoul that didn't cost an ungoldy amount of money for membership, sigh. I wish I had more pictures to post on this blog but I really don't take a lot of pictures. I usually just get too wrapped up in what I'm doing, I kind of just forget about it. I think it sullies the experience, constantly taking pictures.

I know there's been a lot of threats from N. Korea lately in the news. There were a couple of scares where I really thought they were going to try something to the South but that subsided quickly. For the first time in my life I've been interested in reading international news. Back in the states, it was all far away so I really didn't pay attention - out of sight, out of mind. Now, being the target of a power hungry, war mongering, brain dead dictator puts things into perspective.  In this day and age, there is no way any country could get away with a nuclear attack on another country without facing the harshest of punishments. People here in S. Korea know that it's a bunch of hot air coming out of Kim Jong Un's pie hole so it's no surprise when they act like nothing's really going on. Sometimes I wish they would attack us just to get it over with so we can retaliate. A country full of men who are forced to do their mandatory military service for 2 years and nothing to show for all that training. What a waste.

It's a beautiful spring day in Seoul today. I'm sitting in this cafe facing the street with the wind in my face, accompanied by overplayed pop songs blaring over the sound system. It's in settings like these where I finally shut off the rest of the world, shut off my brain, and just enjoy the present. Kinda like this guy:  Bockelman and Bri sent me a care package a couple days ago and I can't wait to get it. Should be here in a week and a half. Surprisingly, they're the first to send me a package and I'm excited. Truly worthy of Craig status, love you guys. I might be jinxing myself again but my plan is to make a visit in late December to Fayetteville and maybe other places in a span of 2 weeks since that's all I get for my vacation. Until then, y'all take care and know that I miss the hell out of you guys. You Craigs are as good as family to me. 10 months and counting :)

~JK

No comments:

Post a Comment