Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A month in...

It’s been about a month now since I’ve been in Korea and I can say it’s been surreal.  I’ve acclimated quite well into society but I still feel as though I’m an outsider.  I look the same and I speak the language but man, I still feel like an American lol.  I’ve limited my English speaking to just Skype sessions, Facebook, and my occasional phone calls (yay international calling plans).  Work is going well, although I just lost one student because he wasn't improving fast enough for his mother's taste.  The director of the hagwon told me that the mother thought I had no business teaching English writing to her child, haha!  For one, he never came to class having completed the assignments I gave him and there is only so much I can teach him, after that, it's all up to him to practice on his own time for better results.  The director said not to worry and that most parents act that way.  He's been so understanding of my situation and has tried to accommodate me by creating classes that I would be able to teach comfortably, even with my Korean deficiency.  
            In other news, I won’t be going into the military as an officer anymore.  I found out that an officer serves an extra year in the military so I see no point in me staying here any longer than I have to just to have that on my resume or having a nice fat paycheck.  Instead, I’m going to fail my physical for the 2nd time (I’ve been working out still but I haven’t changed my diet up at all) and as a result will be placed in a boring government desk job that counts as my 2-year military duty.  The best thing about this is that I will have plenty of time to make a decision about what I’m going to pursue when I get back to the states (engineering or medical school).  I’ll also be able to study at my leisure and take all the tests I want to prepare as well as getting paid by the government, of course.  I should be going in to have my follow up physical in a week or two.  
            I have yet to make any new friends but hopefully I won’t have to wait much longer.  My mom is trying to get a hold of one of my old classmates from when I went to school here back in 3rd and 4th grade.  Her name is Seon Young Ahn, she grew up in Guam so she speaks plenty of English and I’m anxious to see her again.  We were pretty good friends back then.  Also, my cousin, Hee Jung (Angela), is about to take her college entrance exam for a performing arts school in two and a half weeks.  After that, she promised to hang out and take me around the city.  Until then, I’m left to my own devices.  My guitar numbs the boredom, for the most part, and thank the Lord that Sidereel.com updates shows right after they’re aired.  I’m typing this entry in Microsoft Word in a bakery/café in Apgujeong, a ward in Seoul that is known for its’ affluent residents and trends in fashion.  Bunch of bourgeois people strutting their money around, pffffft.  Anyway, I think I’ve outstayed my welcome in the shop, been here almost 2 hours lol.  By the way, if you have the new updated iOS5 for your iPhone and have my new Korean number (01054606806), you should text me (iMessage is free international texts if the person you're texting has the latest update too.  Instead of the phone number you can also use their apple id email to text) if you get bored because...I'm bored ^-^  As for pictures, I've posted an album of pics from when I went to the Korean War Memorial on Facebook as well as some other random ones I've taken since then.  As always, miss and love y'all like this much <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------> x 1 billion.  

P.S. I've started to look for neat little souvenir/gifts for all of you so if you want, send me your address by text/email/facebook and maybe you'll find a little JK love in the mailbox one of these days.  I've already sent out my first one to BockelCraig today.  Enjoy!

~JK

No comments:

Post a Comment