Thursday, October 13, 2011

Adjusting to life in Korea

    It's been almost 2 weeks since I've landed in this country.  Damn those 2 weeks went by fast, mostly because I was being dragged around all over Seoul running errands and doing interviews.  Speaking of interviews...here's how my Air Force officer test/interview went.  Apparently I didn't understand the scope of this whole experience because when I arrived at the shuttle site to be picked up, I was the only one not dressed in a suit lol.  Total jackassery.  The test and interviewing would take all day.  The essay portion of the test, which included translating a passage and the essay prompt in Korean to English and eventually writing an essay, started at 9 am.  Now, the only Korean I'm able to speak is because my mom emphasized that not forgetting my native language was important.  Outside of the house I never had an opportunity to speak it to anyone else or in any scholarly capacity.  All the Korean used in the testing phases were academic Korean, as in "hard as hell for a southern boy from Arkansas."  I took out bits and pieces I could recognize and wrote to the best of my knowledge lol.  The listening part of the test I breezed through, thank you Amurrica.  We were served lunch at the academy's cafeteria around noon and then the afternoon portion of the tests began.  By the way, the total applicant pool was 87 and they only pick 20 (the biggest pool they've had in a long time).
    The afternoon test consisted of listening to a passage in Korean and then interpreting on the spot into English and then vice versa.  All of this in front of three Air Force officers that speak both languages damn fluently.  To say the least, I choked hardcore and felt embarrassed.  I walked out feeling defeated.  At least the hard part was over with, all that was left were the two interviews, one in English and one in Korean.  The Korean interview was conducted by a 1 star general in the Air Force.  He was surprised that I could speak as much Korean as I did during the interview after finding out that I'd lived in the states for over 20 years.  I tripped over words in Korean during my interview but whatever, I had nothing to lose at that point.  The English interview was super easy, it was with a Colonel from the USAF.  Afterwards, I went and picked up my confiscated cell phone (not really, they just collected everyone's when we got to the base) and went home with my dad.  For the next 2 hours on the way home, I felt like a complete and utter failure.  I didn't know why I was going through all this trouble, breaking my ass traveling to these bases and subjecting myself to humiliation like this.  I've never had to face much failure in life but I am familiar with its' bitter taste and in that moment, I missed home the most I've ever missed it...EVER.  I wanted to drop everything and just come back but I knew that wasn't going to happen or be possible anyway so I snapped myself out of the bitch moment and realized I couldn't let failure or the fear of failure impede my journey.  Fuck you, failure!
    When we got home, my dad told me that the Marines had called him to make sure that I wanted to come and do the whole test/interview thing for them so I could go in as an interpreting officer.  My dad told them my whole situation about not being able to speak Korean all that well yet but they assured him that I'd be able to get in with no hassle.  That was some good news and it cheered me up a little bit...let's just hope they weren't blowing smoke up our asses.  I also have an interview with the Navy lined up as well next month so all hope is not lost.  Anyway, that was the biggest thing that's happened to me while I've been in Korea besides my new teaching job at an after school test prep center, similar to the Kaplan classes you can take in the states, called a "hagwon."  I'm teaching English writing, note taking(outlining), summarizing, and all that good stuff.  I've had to write my share of papers, scholarly and not during my engineering days, so this is no hassle at all for me.  As long as I can help some poor Korean student learn Engrish so he can do well on his tests, I'll be a happy camper.  Oh yeah, I met my two cousins that I hadn't seen since I was here in 3rd grade.  20 and 23 years old, the younger one is going to take me out once she's done with her college entrance exam.  The older sister is already married and is pregnant!  I also met my other uncle's kids who are 5 and 7 years old (met them the first night I was in Korea).  Adorable little girls but I prefer the younger one since she likes me more haha.  After we ate dinner out at a restaurant one night, my uncle asked the young one if she wanted to be held by me and she just shook her head yes and just latched onto me like a koala bear.  She's so cute!  She even fell asleep in my arms on the car ride home.  Pictures of them to come.
     Anyway,  I've got some more food pics for you peoples!  I know you enjoy these.  Other than that...I still miss seeing your faces but it's all good because we got Kakao Talk!  If you don't have it (*cough..Camille..cough*) yet, it's FREE.99...that means FREE for people who think that means .99 cents (*cough..Camille..cough*).  Just like What'sApp but I like it better.  Free international texts, send videos, voice notes, pics, group chats.  My id is johnkim1987 on it so add me.  So until next time my Craigs, I love y'all! (gotta keep it Southern)

Oh, BTW...I had an interview with another hagwon today in the neighborhood where my parents first met and bought our first house when I was a baby.  Three guys, all spoke English very well, noticed my Southern accent.  That made me happy.  I can't notice it when I speak but I guess it's really true, once you get that twang, you can't get rid of it.  It comes out one way or another, sober or not :)

Fruit vendor right outside of the house.  Someone I know would enjoy this place.

Bunch of street side stores ranging from eats to produce/meat/fish to clothes and other randoms.

Monk fish with prawns and bean sprouts (super spicy)

They apparently take rice and mix with the rest of the sauce that comes with the monk fish.  It's derricious.

Pretty little walking path by the bike trail.  10 minutes from the house.

Eating some chicken wings (they served them with a pair of gloves so you don't get your fingers dirty lol) at the mall (it was 7 or 8 stories!).  The food court here is nothing like you'll see in the states.  

Lunch with grandma at the mall.  It's called Bibim Naeng Myun which is just buckwheat noodles mixed with veggies and sesame oil in red chili paste.  Topped with sesame seeds and a boiled egg.
Lunch with dad in the neighborhood where my parents first lived when my mom was pregnant with moi.  Spicy seafood soft tofu soup.  It always tastes better when it's scalding hot :)

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave and awesome! And wow, I think I would have cried after that whole testing process. I think things will work out for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie Kelsey, I think once all this crap is over and done with I can start to enjoy myself before I spend 2 years of my youth being owned by the government.

    ReplyDelete