Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fish Market Goodness!

    What was supposed to be an afternoon lunch turned into a whole day affair...thank you Seoul traffic, you may be worse than New York's.  My uncle, grandparents, and I left around 1 pm and got to the fish market around 3:30.  I was blown away when we got there.  It was about half a mile to 3/4 of a mile long stretch of straight fish mongers and shops setup in a long line.  Everyone there had ridiculous amounts of fish for sale, almost all still alive in the tanks.  There were sea scallops the size of filet mignon medallions, 2+lb alaskan king crabs, shrimp, and of course tons of fresh fish.  They have a service there where you pick the fish and whatever else you want to eat and then for a small service fee, they take your food to one of the neighboring restaurants and prepare your meal.  My uncle and I each got a whole king crab to eat and my grandparents got the Korean version of a red snapper prepared as fresh sashimi to eat.  It was all so delicious.  They also prepared a fish stew with the leftover bones with meat on them called "Maewoon Tang."  It was so much food, all I could do was just sit there in a food drunken stupor.  My uncle's kids and wife came as well so it was fun.  The youngest one, Yeh Won, is sooo cute!
    After dinner, we went to a district of Seoul called Yonsang, which is known for its' electronics and video game shops.  We made a stop there to get the girls a Nintendo Wii.  I played with Yeh Won while we were waiting for the guy to setup all the stuff for the games.  She found my making goofy faces too funny and proceeded to shower me with love.  Yeaaaaus!  I couldn't get a picture with her because she was worn out and fell asleep in the car.  By the time we got home, it was around 8:20 pm.  A little ridiculous for what was supposed to be a lunch trip don't you think?  Before we left the fish market we bought some more live squid to eat tomorrow, winning!  Having family here to take care of me and hang out with is great, it's like I've known them my whole life.  Well, I actually have, just haven't been able to see them or be around them like this.  But I also miss my "family" back in the states, no one could replace you guys.  The only reason I've been able to stay so strong throughout this transition is because I think of you guys all the time.  Skype and Kakao Talk also help a little :)  I've been texting my 20 year old cousin in Korean to practice writing and my speech has improved a lot since I landed here.  Thank you, Lord, for technology and all of its' bounty!  Anyway here come the pictures, enjoy and until next time, stay funky. ^_^

Fish mongers on both sides as far as the eye could see.

Where we picked out our crabs and fish.  Just look at all that!

Yummy feeeeesh.  Just waiting to be devoured :)

Where we got our food prepared.  Most traditional restaurants in Korea have floor seating like this.  They give you mats to sit on.  It takes a little getting used to.

A little appetizer to stimulate the palate.  I forgot what it was called but it tasted fresh lol.

My uncle and I were ready to dominate some crab.  There's also a little bit of the sashimi I was eating before they hauled the crabs out.  The girl there is Yae Ji, the older of the two girls.

Pure domination.  Take that crustacean! /flex

Maewoon Tang.  That broth is derricious.

Goodbye fish market, until we meet again!

1 comment: